Friday, August 29, 2014

I'm Losing My Hair!

Actually, my hair loss is minimal. Starting a few days ago, several hairs come out when I run my hand through my coif, but I'm told I will not lose all my hair. I was going to pass on a wig and hoped to look as beautiful as this woman.

When my poor neighbor was being treated for breast cancer several years ago, she had half of her hair fall out one night, along with her eyebrows and everything else. On the up side, she didn't have to shave her legs for a while. That part sounds pretty nice, but one cannot pick and choose side effects.

I love my radiation oncologist. He's very funny. He asked me early this week whether I was feeling better. I hemmed and hawed because my left leg was still bothering me, causing me to limp. The next day when we chatted, he reminded me that when we first met, at my initial consultation five or six weeks ago, I could not sit at all because of pain from the tumor. I was amazed, and thoroughly embarrassed, to have forgotten. He also chuckled about how grumpy I was that day but allowed as how I'd turned out to be pretty nice after all. If there is any up side to radiation, besides getting rid of the cancer of course, Dr. V. is it.

The down side of radiation: I'm starting to feel a bit of burning. I have four and a half more weeks of this stuff to look forward to, so that will only get worse. I pray I don't entirely lose my sense of humor. We shall see.

With the Labor Day holiday, I have three instead of two days off from the radiation regimen. I'm thrilled!

Enjoy the long weekend, everyone!




3 comments:

  1. Glad Dr. V got to experience the funny and sweet Katie we all know. Enjoy your break from the radiation. Smiles and hugs to you today and every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching up on your posts. Nice to see your humor is still present, love that!
    Life for all of us goes on, work work work, bitch about the lab, pull weeds, complain about my hot flashes (which is no where near a burning sensation), pick up after my dogs, gripe that my hair style doesn't do me justice. Your posts make my whining seem ridiculous! I swear i wont complain about picking up dog poop again.
    Stay strong Katie and keep up that spirit- and BTW you are beautiful with or with out hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Diana and Paris! I say whine if you feel like it. I will be when this is all over and I get back to my "real" life!

    ReplyDelete