Sunday, August 3, 2014

Fear

Most days, the upcoming cancer treatment has seemed like a big if nasty adventure. Ferris
Beuller's Day off but with chemo and radiation. I'm tough. I'll see it through and come out stronger. A dear friend from high school in Hawaii tells me to be a warrior. Yeah. Bring it on.

But last night, for the first time in two weeks, I felt fear. I was on the Kaiser web site to refill my pain med when I saw a brand new one on the list of medications, ondansetron. I Googled it and saw that it is for nausea and vomiting. I loathe nausea—just like everyone else.

I'm trying to figure out how to not dread treatment. During Al's last chemo, an anti-nausea drug was part of the cocktail, so he was spared. Not that he didn't have other side effects, but at least he didn't have nausea.

I know lots of you have been in my boots. If you have any suggestions for deep breathing, for eating, for anything that might make this easier, I'm all ears. Thank you.



3 comments:

  1. Keep a supply of frozen popsicles handy. Strike a singing bowl. Read a Sylvia Plath poem. Write a poem. Drink tea. On ward, by all means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have faith that the medication will work. Ginger ale, ginger tea, and saltines are good. Also the accupressure bands used for motion sickness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie,

    Sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye—I stopped by Monday afternoon, but was too late! I'm sure it's way too early to think about coming back for a lunch, but I'd love to see you after you get a chance to sleep in late for a few days. Please come join us any Wednesday, or most other days if you happen to be nearby.

    Also, one thought I had was about Lotsa of Helping Hands (http://www.lotsahelpinghands.com). I know that you're usually the one taking care of other people, but if your treatment looks like it's taking a toll, I know many of us would be happy to help out. This website is a great way for you to let people know what needs you have (laundry, food, watering the yard, etc.), and then your friends can sign up as they are available and able to help. Bernice used this while she was recovering from surgery and undergoing chemo, and I think it really helped her, plus it allowed her friends to actually do something useful.

    Thinking of you lots, and wishing you the best.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete