Friday, November 14, 2014

Two steps forward, one back...

This has been a week of ups and downs. I have a new retirement date, December 2, which is good news. But I'm discovering that my energy isn't what I keep hoping it is. I drove to Livermore on Tuesday for some pre-retirement meetings and lunch with a good friend. Back in Stockton I had an appointment with an orthopedist about my painful left hip. She had me get an x-ray and then saw me again, which extended the day to 5:30. I had put in an 8-hour day, my first in months. I slept 11 hours that night and awoke still pooped. I had a lunch scheduled for Wednesday with a friend in Stockton and another trip to Livermore planned for Thursday for lunch. I had to cancel both. Grrrrr.... Patience has never been my strong suit, as Al can attest. 

This week will end on the way, way up side, however. On Sunday Al and I leave for most of a week in Mendocino. Rain is forecast, which is AOK with us. Hot tub in the rain, anyone? We are taking lots of books and DVDs. Mom will stay home, and she has a Phoenix friend who will be with her for several days. I suspect we all will enjoy our privacy and peace and quiet.

And today is my birthday! As baby sister Maggie has reminded me, I'm now eligible to sing the old Beatles' song "When I'm 64." Of course when the song came out, none of us could imagine being that old. But look at us now, older and better than ever.

Much love,
Katie

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Katie! Hope you and Al have a delightful and restful trip to Mendocino. You might see some Roosevelt elk up there. -- Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Katie,
    I hope the hip x ray turned out fine. Have a wonderful time in Mendocino!! Those lunches with friends will always be something to look forward to.
    Love and a hug,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete