Monday, October 6, 2014

I'm done!

I had my last radiation treatment this morning. Glory Hallelujah! I got the certificate below when I left. It's fun. At the risk of being a tad negative, it seems unlikely that all of that cancer cells are gone, although of course I hope so. I have another appointment at the radiation center on December 3. CT scan time. The moment of truth, perhaps.


I felt so much better over the weekend after receiving two units of blood on Friday. On Thursday morning when I walked into the radiation center, the nurse happened to see me come in and was instantly all concern. I was practically limping I had so little energy. The two docs appeared out of nowhere, took one look, and insisted that I go to Kaiser to get fluids. They were also certain I needed a transfusion. The nurse called Kaiser so by the time I got home and called Kaiser myself, it was all set up, just get over there and I was in. Kaiser also drew blood and those numbers prompted the call a few hours later at home to come in on Friday for a transfusion.

Yay for modern medicine. I went grocery shopping on Saturday for the first time in weeks, and made a slow-cooker stew on Sunday. My energy is still far lower than I'd like, and I suspect weeks will pass before that is back to normal. I bought a big pumpkin today and discovered I couldn't pick it up. What's with that?! Still, I'm feeling better and many of the symptoms I've had are beginning to fade away.

This morning I took an orchid and a batch of brownies (another Saturday project - woo hoo) to the radiation center staff. They have been so caring and supportive and are such a wonderful bunch of people. I am very grateful to them and also to the wonderful nurses in Kaiser's infusion center. They have all made a truly ghastly time more bearable.

Mom continues to be in charge of scut work, bless her heart. Al is my cheerleader in chief when I get blue, chauffeur (tho I'm beginning to do some driving), and all-around wonderful husband. And thanks to all of you who continue to remember me.

Love,
Katie

3 comments:

  1. Woohoo!! So wonderful to hear it's all over! Hope you're feeling a lot better soon. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All good news, Katie! So happy your are finished with your radiation (Love that certificate) Modern medicine is amazing, but it makes it so much easier when you have a kind and caring staff.
    Keep up that great energy, don't do too much, and come next year you'll be juggling big pumpkins with ease. Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the picture of the pumpkin, that won the Half Moon Bay contest, in the paper this a.m. If that was the pumpkin you were trying to lift, no wonder it was too heavy:) So glad you're on the mend, Katie!! Love to you. Sharon

    ReplyDelete